Sunday, December 14, 2008

The King and I

I remember the days when my Rachmaninoff was the picture of health, like in this photo, napping in his “catnip bed." He has been feeling poorly again and we’re in ICU mode, offering him spoonfuls of baby food every few hours and hoping he will soon bounce back.

Rock has become very demanding in his dotage, especially at mealtime. His hearing is going, so now he meows as if I’m the one getting deaf, hence the origin of one of his many nicknames, “King,” as in: “Yes my King, right away my King, I’m working as fast as I can, my King.” When Faith, a frequent visitor to this blog, noted that Rock looked “regal,” I was reminded that his royal Maine Coon cat lineage is obvious to many. All Hail the King.

Caring for His Majesty is soulful work and I am a faithful liege.
If only I could turn back time.

“I would have followed you, my brother. My captain.
My King.“

~ Boromir to Aragorn
The Fellowship of the Ring

1 comment:

  1. I wish you could turn back time too. I am thinking of you and your King. I love the photo. Makes me think of all the places my own cats have made special in our yard. I can still almost see Edgar lying on the back stones on a sunny day...Be strong in your soulful work...

    ReplyDelete