Thursday, January 8, 2009

The Story of the Girl

Beginning today, I am posting The Story of the Girl. My true account spans a four-year period from 2001-2005.

Chapter One
"Animals are not brethren, they are not underlings;
they are other nations, caught with ourselves in the net of life and time. "
— Henry Beston



In the spring of 2001, someone abandoned a flock of six domestic China White Geese at a dam along the Charles River near my home. It was not until September that I began to notice their presence on a regular basis. They had joined a flock of Canada Geese and had learned to fend for themselves, surviving on a diet of grass; duckweed and the baked goods people fed them. As a frequent visitor to this scenic part of the Charles, I began to feed and befriend the flock. After the terrible events of September 11th, their beauty and innocence were comforting.

1 comment:

  1. I so much enjoy reading your blogs. Your selection of poems, info, and story not only keep me entertained, but engage my deeper, reflective self. Thank you for sharing your uniqueness within the bloggersphere. I LOVED your blog for the New Years, "Let It Go, Let It Flow." Especially the line of "another year..." Your talent as a poet truly shines. I look forward to more.

    ReplyDelete