Monday, June 1, 2009

Requiem for a King


My Rachmaninoff, the King
and Man of the Forest

May 6, 1991 ― June 1, 2009


Eighteenth Variation from Rhapsody On A Theme Of Paganini, Op. 43 (Instrumental) is now Rachmaninoff's requiem. It was the music that inspired me to name him so many years ago and seems almost like a narrative of how joyously and deeply he lived and loved. He was incredibly brave in the last months of his life. He died peacefully at home this afternoon with assistance from our wonderful and loving vet team, Melanie and Julie, after a long and hard-fought battle he wasn't meant to win. In the end, my Rachmaninoff was glad to go. His little body was broken and he was so tired. We were together for 18 years. Without him, I will never be the same.


“I would have followed you, my brother. My captain. My King."
~ Boromir to Aragorn from The Fellowship of the Ring

No comments:

Post a Comment