Saturday, September 12, 2009

Otter Man


I had a ton of nicknames for my beloved Maine Coon cat Rachmaninoff and "Otter Man" is one that I remember fondly. Not only did Rock have the long, strong neck of an otter and liked to curl up in playful, otter-like positions, he also possessed their keen intelligence and fun-loving disposition.

I have been thinking of him a great deal this week and shedding more tears than usual. The eight-year anniversary of 9/11 put me in a somber mood as well. Rock became ill around this time last year. His scent has all but faded from his collar and last night I dreamed that he was there to greet me when I came home from work.

I try my best to remember him before he got sick, as my steadfast companion in the garden, “helping” me stack wood for the woodstove and watching wild turkeys forage among the fallen leaves. But all of these recollections lead to the same place of sadness.

I miss my Otter Man so.


No comments:

Post a Comment