Saturday, March 26, 2011

Elizabeth loved animals

Elizabeth Taylor loved cats

and dogs, here with Lassie in Lassie Come Home

We animal lovers are often misunderstood. Those who don't feel as we do believe we have difficulty forming deep connections with people. Not at all. In fact, I think we love more profoundly than most. Elizabeth Taylor demonstrated this ability to love both animals and people deeply, and despite numerous failed marriages kept on loving until her death on March 23rd. I don't think it was just a coincidence that she died the day after the 53rd anniversary of Mike Todd's death. Todd, one of the great loves of her life, died in a plane crash on March 22, 1958.

My own love of animals began in early childhood. I just always felt connected, comfortable and at ease around them and I always will.

As a humanitarian and an animal lover, Elizabeth Taylor brought both worlds together and set an example for many. When she said, “I sometimes think I prefer animals to people,” she made it all right for the rest of us who feel the same.

More on Elizabeth Taylor's love for animals in the next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment