Monday, April 11, 2011

Peepers and Squill


Blooming Squill and the magical sounds of peepers are distracting me, hence this break from my series on Wild Turkeys, which I will continue in the next post.

The Winter of 2011 will not soon be forgotten. Snow, snow, snow, tree damage everywhere one looked and hardship for wildlife that seemed never-ending. But when I hear the peepers calling and see the cerulean blue petals of the first spring Squill, I am mad with forgetting, and it is a wonderful madness, indeed. The British author Ellis Peters, aka Edith Mary Pargeter, was right when she wrote:

Every spring is the only spring - a perpetual astonishment.

1 comment:

  1. The flowers of Scilla siberica are a darker blue, and face down (nod). Instead, these appear to be Scilla (formerly Chionodoxa) luciliae (glory-of-the-snow)

    ReplyDelete