Sunday, July 29, 2012

We Live Here: Chipmunks



We live here but don't tell the cats. This is just one of many burrow entrances we've made (click on the photo), but the cats don't know that, ha, ha! It sure is funny to watch them stand guard while we run in and out of other burrows, climb trees and look down at them while they're looking down the burrow to see any sign of us.

If foxes are around, don't expect to see us peeking out of our hiding places in the woodpile or running like the wind across the lawn. You might hear us scurrying up the downspouts if a fox, cat or crow is on our trail. But, we're used to running and we like to run.

We live here because there are a lot of berries, nuts and seeds for us to eat and we can always find fresh water. We are also fond of cracked corn and birdseed. Lucky for us, there seems to be a steady supply of both. It's good to be able to count on something when you never know from year to year how many acorns you'll be able to find. Last year was a terrible year and lots of our mouse friends perished. We held on and we're glad we made it to another summer.

So the next time you see a hole like this in your backyard, remember us chipmunks. We live here, too.

1 comment:

  1. Greetings from Los angeles! I'm bored to tears at work so I decided to browse your blog on my iphone during lunch break. I enjoy the knowledge you provide here and can't wait to take a look when
    I get home. I'm shocked at how fast your blog loaded on my cell phone .. I'm not even using WIFI, just 3G .

    . Anyhow, awesome blog!

    Here is my weblog http://en.netlog.com

    ReplyDelete